Monday, September 21, 2009

Dia Internacional de la Lectura!

How awesome is it when a kid reads to a kid? The Asociación de Jóvenes (Youth Association) and I celebrated International Literacy day Tuesday, September 8th. We started the celebration at the Elementary School in Duveaux, grabbed about 6 7th graders and marched through the community shouting such phrases as “Vale la pena aprenderlo, Vale la pena celebrarlo” (If its worth learning, its worth celebrating) and “Leer para Aprender, Saber es Poder” (Read to learn, knowledge is power) The translation might not be exact, but you get the idea. What a hoot! I got these tigueres to read to a huge group of kids! We marched proud to the basketball court and the Elementary School in El Limon, where we read Salta Ranita, Salta and Los Tres Cerdos. My youth group did some dinámicas with the kids and it was awesome! I won’t get all sentimental on you, but I loved that morning and the entire event cost a total of 125 pesos ($3.68). I carried Marco on my shoulders and bought him an ice cream after!

No comments: